Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Meet Gertrude

I must confess I'm a bit of a tree hugger! That's one of the main reasons I fell in love with Boise, there are loads of beautiful trees at every turn. 

Here are some examples



Now I know this may seem very mundane to most people but I grew up in San Diego where people like to cut down ancient trees to build humdrum track houses, which deprive everyone that lives in them the opportunity to be unique in any way. Sorry, went on a little rant again. The point I was getting to is that I haven't grown up around trees other than the few we had in my backyard. So I am in total awe of the trees here. Which inspired me along with two amazing people (Brooke Fisher and my father who already grow their own veggies) to grow our own produce. Also I do not appreciate that our atmosphere grows a new hole daily because of pesticides being blow into it every day.  As a result Gabe and I decided to start growing our own plants.  This is a very new experience for Gabe and I because we have never attempted to grow any type of flora previous to this. Besides a bonsai tree which ended badly. ha  Unfortunately we live in an apartment so the amount of produce we are able to grow is pretty limited. We made the choice to start out slow with a single tomato plant.
Without further adieu, I'd like to introduce you to Gertrude.
Yes, I named her. When I told my mom, she was worried. Our conversation went as follows:
Me: Guess what!? we adopted a tomato plant and I named her Gertrude.
Mom: You named your plant? Don't you think that's a little strange, Kate?
Me: Mom, I've only really made one friend since we have moved. I'm starting to have to name plants and pretend they are my friends. Don't judge me. haha
Yeah once again, I'm a total loser.


No comments:

Post a Comment